The Majors division is for players age 10 to 12 years of age that are drafted following tryouts. This division is intended to be a competitive and instructional division at the culmination of the Little League experience. Games are 6 innings. Batting order (continuous or not) will be voted on annually by the NSLL Board of Directors. Players and parents should expect 3/4 games and/or practices a week.
RULES OF PLAY
PR-1 Pre-Game and Post-Game Responsibilities
- The Home Team will be responsible for preparing the field before the game:
❏ open the snack shack
❏ remove the plugs and insert the bases
❏ rake and tamp the mound
❏ rake around the bases and the apron of the field
❏ drag the rest of the infield
❏ rake the home plate area
❏ rake the base paths
❏ water down the infield dirt
❏ water down and tamp the batter’s boxes
❏ chalk the baselines and batter’s boxes
❏ raise the flag(s)
❏ set up Scoreboard and Speaker (where applicable)
If the field is not ready 30 mins before game time, the visiting team will help. The visiting team will be allowed to take infield 15 mins before the game. The Home team forfeits infield warmup for any time needed to complete field preparations.
- The Visiting Team Is responsible for repairing the field after the game: (When playing Interleague the NSLL team will fulfill both roles at NSLL fields)
After Every Game:
❏ rake the pitcher’s mound
❏ rake the infield
❏ rake the home plate area
❏ water down the infield dirt, pitcher’s mound and batter’s box areas
❏ tamp the pitcher’s mound and batter’s boxes
After Last Game of the Day:
❏ remove the bases and insert the plugs
❏ put away the bases and all the drags and rakes
❏ take down, fold, and put away flag(s) at field
* Game time is a maximum of 45 minutes after the end of the previous game.
- The Home Team will provide a Scoreboard Operator and Announcer, the Visiting Team will provide an Official Scorekeeper who will keep the official paper score book which shall be picked up and returned to the announcer’s booth. Snack shack staffing will be scheduled separately by the Novato South Little League Snack Shack Coordinator working with the Team Parents.
- Both Teams will provide a Pitch Counter to record the number of pitches thrown by both teams’ pitchers. Pitch counters verify and agree on the number of pitches thrown after each half inning.
The Visiting Team Pitch Counter will also act as a Game Director if needed. The, “if needed,” provision is when both umpires are legal minors. The game director will only step in if there is a disagreement on rules, playing conditions, or any matter that holds up the game. If the Game Director is unable to resolve, the game director contacts the Novato South Little League President or VP or Majors
Commissioner. During inter-league, the home team pitch counter acts as game director.
PR-2 Site Rules
- There is no smoking or tobacco use on NUSD or City of Novato grounds at any time.
- No food or beverages, except water and sport drinks, are permitted in the dugout or field. 2021: This extends to Sunflower Seeds as well
- Noise makers (e.g., horns, cowbells, etc.) are not allowed at Novato South Little League games.
- Each team is responsible for cleaning up their dugout and spectator area, after the game.
- Hard ball batting practice of any kind is not allowed. Whiffle balls may be used.
- At all times, Pitcher warm up must be (caught) by a Player not a Coach
PR-3 Game - Time Limit
- There is no time limit at the Majors level.
PR-4 Pitch Counts and Reporting
- NSLL follows Little League (Blue Book) pitch count rules. Each year NSLL will determine whether to further limit pitch counts
- 2021 NSLL Majors pitch counts will be limited -10 from Blue Book per age thru May 7
- Each Manager will report via email to the other League Managers and Commissioner on the day each game is completed:
❏ Name of all players who pitched
❏ Number of pitches thrown by each
❏ The next date each pitcher is eligible to pitch
PR-5 Minimum Play, Continuous Batting and Substitutions:
- 2021: Games may begin with 8 players. The 9th place in the batting order will not be considered an automatic out. Games may begin with 7 player if both Managers agree to it.
- NSLL adheres to all Minimum Play Regulations and Substitution Rules specified in the Little League (“Blue Book”). Every player present at the start will participate for a minimum of six (6) defensive outs-outs do not need to be consecutive and bat at least one (1) time.
- 2021 NSLL will institute ‘Continuous Batting’ during regular season and postseason.
- Use of Continuous Batting will be determined prior to inter-league play.
- Continuous Batting Rules:
❏ Batting order includes all players on the roster present for the game
❏ Each player is required to bat in their respective spot in the batting order
❏ Batting order will not change during a game except for injury or illness
❏ A player may be entered and/or re-entered defensively at any time.
- If a player is injured or must leave the game, the team will skip over them in Batting Order without penalty. If the player returns they are re-inserted to their original spot and the game continues. If a player arrives late, the manager enters him/her at the end of the Batting Lineup.
- Any player not completing minimum play (even in a 10 run rule scenario) must start the next game, play any previous minimum play requirements and then complete all minimum play requirements for the current game before being replaced.
- For any violation of Minimum Play, the manager shall be penalized as follows:
- First Offense – Written warning, unless intentional, in which case the manager will be suspended for the next scheduled game.
- Second Offense – Suspension for the next scheduled game, unless intentional, in which case the manager will be suspended for the remainder of the season.
- Third Offense – Suspension for the remainder of the season, unless intentional, in which case the manager will be subject to a permanent ban from the League.
- Courtesy Runner: NSLL will opt-in to Local Rule 3.04. A courtesy runner may be installed for the
Pitcher or Catcher when there are 2 outs. The runner must be the player who made the last out.
PR-6 10-Run Rule
- NSLL plays under the 10-run rule as defined in Little League Official Regulations (“Blue Book”). The game is considered final when the umpire calls the game after 3 ½ or 4 (or 5 innings) have been played. The remaining innings may be played as a scrimmage until the 2-hour time limit is reached. The spirit iis to give minimum play players additional playing time. Managers should:
- Move players to infield who usually only play in the outfield
- Sit players who usually play all six innings
- Have players pitch who usually do not
- Scrimmage innings must be conducted according to the rules of NSLL
- Pitch counts will COUNT in pitch-count standings
- The scrimmage game – cannot exceed 2 hours
- Umpires may remain at the game until the scrimmage ends
PR-7 Interleague Play
- Each season NSLL will determine whether to play Interleague games outside of NSLL
- 2021 NSLL will play inter-league games against Novato North Little League
- Scheduling will be determined each year
- Rules used in Interleague games will be determined annually – with the default yearly to “Blue
Book”, including Substitution Rules.
Note - District 3 determines rules used for T.O.C. (2020: continuous batter)
Note - Little League International determines rules for All-Stars (2020: standard substitution)
2019 Majors – Summary of Changes:
1 - NSLL Board Approved – Jan 14, 2019 PR-7.2: 2019 Majors will use ‘Continuous batting’ for the full NSLL season.
2 - NSLL Board Approved – Feb 5, 2019 PR-10: Added Interleague Play section.
2020 Majors – Summary of Changes:
1 - NSLL Board Approved - Feb 4 PR-6.1: Lower Bluebook pitch count levels by 10 per age. Lift date Fri April 10
2 - NSLL Board Approved - Feb 4 PR-7.2: 2020 Continuous batting confirmed
3 - NSLL Board Review PR-10: 2020 Inter League setup
2021 Majors – Summary of Changes:
1 - NSLL Board Approved - Mar 9 PR-4: Lower Bluebook pitch count levels by 10 per age. Lift date Fri May 7
2 - NSLL Board Approved - Mar 9 PR-5.1 2021 Games may begin with 8 players or 7 if agreed by both Managers
3 - NSLL Board Approved - Mar 9 PR-5.9: Local Rule - Courtesy Runner allowed for Pitcher or Catcher w/ 2 outs
4 - NSLL Board Approved - Mar 9 PR-5.5: Continuous batting confirmed
5 - NSLL Board Approved - Mar 9 PR-7.2: Inter League Confirmed