2020 LOCAL RULES
The Majors division is for players age 10 to 12 years of age that are drafted following tryouts. This division is intended to be a competitive and instructional division at the culmination of the Little League experience. Games are 6 innings. Batting order (continuous or not) will be voted on annually by the NSLL Board of Directors. Players and parents should expect 4/5 games and/or practices a week.
RULES OF PLAY
PR-1 Pre-Game and Post-Game Responsibilities
1. The Home team will be responsible for preparing the field before the game. Field preparation guidelines are as follows:
-open the snack shack
-remove the plugs and insert the bases
-rake and tamp the mound
-rake around the bases and the apron of the field
-drag the rest of the infield
-rake the home plate area
-rake the base paths
-water down the infield dirt
-water down and tamp the batter’s boxes
-chalk the baselines and batter’s boxes
-raise the flag(s)
-set up Scoreboard and Speaker (where applicable)
If the field is not ready 30 mins before game time, the visiting team will help the home team finish. The visiting team will be allowed to take infield with 15 mins before the game. The team will forefeet infield time for any time needed to complete field preparations.
2. The Visiting team (When playing Interleague the NSLL team will fulfill both roles) Is responsible for repairing the field after the game. Field repair guidelines are as follows:
After Every Game:
-rake the pitcher’s mound
-rake the infield
-rake the home plate area
-water down the infield dirt, pitcher’s mound and batter’s box areas
-tamp the pitcher’s mound and batter’s boxes
After Last Game of the Day:
-remove the bases and insert the plugs
-put away the bases and all the drags and rakes
-take down, fold, and put away flag(s) at field
3. Game time is the scheduled time or a maximum of 45 minutes after the end of the previous game.
4. The Home team will provide a scoreboard operator and announcer, the Visiting team will provide an Official Scorekeeper who will keep the official paper score book which shall be picked up and returned to the announcer’s booth. Snack shack staffing will be scheduled separately by the Novato South Little League Snack Shack Coordinator working in conjunction with the Team Parents. Parents may be required to staff the Snack Shack for games in which their child is not playing.
5. Both teams will provide a volunteer to count and record the number of pitches thrown by each teams’ pitchers. Pitch counters will verify and agree upon the number of pitches thrown by each pitcher after each half inning.
The visiting team pitch counter will also act as a game director if needed. The, “if needed,” provision is utilized when both umpires are legal minors. The game director will act only as a facilitator if there is a disagreement on rules, playing conditions, or any matter that holds up the progress of a game. If the game director is unable to resolve the disputed issue, the game director contacts the Novato South Little League President, if unable to reach, then directed to call the Novato South VP of Commissioners or the Major League Commissioner for guidance. Please note, in any inter-league game, the home team pitch counter will act as game director.
6. Each team is responsible for cleaning up their side of the field, dugout and spectator area, after the game.
PR-2 Team Discipline
1. Managers must notify the League Commissioner and Player Agent before suspending a player, unless circumstances require an immediate suspension. In such cases, a written notice should be furnished to the League Commissioner and Player Agent as soon as possible.
2. There is no smoking or tobacco on NUSD or City of Novato grounds at any time.
3. No food or beverages, except water and sport drinks, are permitted in the dugout. Sunflower seeds are permitted in the dugout, but not on the field.
4. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, noise makers (e.g., horns, cowbells, etc.) will not be allowed at Novato South Little League games.
PR-3 Time Limit
There is no time limit at the Majors level.
PR-4 Soft Toss
No hard balls may be hit into the fences at any field at any time. Whiffle balls are allowed.
PR-5 Practice & Pregame Batting Practice
No "hard ball" batting practice of any kind is allowed before games at any field used by Novato South Little League.
PR-6 Pitch Counts and Reporting
1. Novato South Little League will follow the pitch count rules as they are written in the Little League Official Regulations and Playing Rules (green book). Each year NSLL will determine whether to further limit pitch counts
a. 2020 NSLL Majors pitch counts will be limited -10 from Blue Book per age thru April 10
2. Each Manager shall report the following information via email to the other Major League Managers and the Major League Commissioner on the day each game is completed:
a. Names of all of their players who pitched in that game;
b. Number of pitches thrown by each one;
c. The next date that each pitcher is eligible to pitch
PR-7 Minimum Play Rule and Substitutions for the Major League
1. Novato South Little League will adhere to all Minimum Play Regulations and Substitution Rules specified in the Little League Official Regulations and Playing Rules (also known as the “Green Book). Specifically, every rostered player present at the start of the game will participate in each game for a minimum of six (6) defensive outs that do not need to be consecutive and bat at least one (1) time.
2. Each season the NSLL Board will determine whether ‘Continuous Batting’ will be used.
2.1. 2020 NSLL will institute ‘Continuous Batting’ during all NSLL intra-league regular season and postseason games
2.2. In a continuous batting set up:
-The batting order will include all players on the team roster present for the game.
-Each player is required to bat in his/her respective spot in the batting order.
-The batting order will not change during a game except for injury or illness.
-A player may be entered and/or re-entered defensively in the game anytime.
-Substitute runners (courtesy runners) are not permitted as all players are considered starters by Green Book rule.
3. If a player is injured, becomes ill, or must leave the game after the start of the game, the team will skip over him/her when his/her time at bat comes up without penalty. If the injured, ill, or absent player returns he/she is merely inserted into their original spot in the batting order and the game continues. If a player arrives late to a game, the manager enters him/her at the end of the current lineup.
4. Any player not completing minimum play (even in a 10 run rule scenario) must start the next game, play any previous minimum play requirements from the previous game and then complete all minimum play requirements for the current game before being replaced.
5. For any violation of Minimum Play Regulations, the manager shall be penalized as follows:
-For the First Offense – receive a written warning, unless offense was intentional, in which case the manager will be suspended for the next scheduled game.
-For the Second Offense – receive a suspension for the next scheduled game, unless offense was intentional, in which case the manager will be suspended for the remainder of the season.
-For the Third Offense – receive a suspension for the remainder of the season, unless offense was intentional, in which case the manager will be subject to a permanent ban from the League.
PR-9 10-Run Rule
Novato South Little League Major League games are played under the 10-run rule as defined in Rule 4.10-e of the Little League Official Regulations and Playing Rules (green book). The game will be considered final when the umpire calls the game after 3 and ½ or 4 or 5 innings have been played. Managers are encouraged to play the remaining innings as scrimmage innings, or until the 2-hour time limit is reached. The spirit of this idea is to give minimum play players additional playing time. Managers should:
-Move players to the infield who usually only play in the outfield
-Sit players who usually play all six innings
-Have players pitch who usually do not have an opportunity to pitch in regulation games
This is a short list of ideas, but other Manager moves that build upon this same direction are encouraged. Other notes:
1. Scrimmage innings must be conducted according to the rules of Little League baseball and local rules established by Novato South Little League.
2. Pitch counts from these scrimmage innings will COUNT in pitch-count standings for the game. Playing time during the scrimmage portion of a game does NOT count toward fulfilling minimum play requirements (i.e. six consecutive outs and one at bat).
3. The scrimmage game – both regulation innings and scrimmage innings combined - cannot exceed 2 hours.
4. Umpires will remain at the game until the scrimmage innings are completed (or the 2 hour time limit is reached).
5. These are scrimmage innings, and Managers and Coaches are expected to treat them as such and refrain from questioning umpires’ calls.
PR-10 Interleague Play
1. Each season the NSLL Board will determine whether NSLL Majors teams will play Interleague games against teams outside of NSLL.
1.1. 2020 NSLL will play inter-league games against Novato North Little League 4 Games and Petaluma Valley 4 games.
2. The scheduling and number of Interleague games will be determined each year in conjunction with the outside league.
3. Rules used in Interleague games will be determined annually – with the default and expectation yearly to be Green Book rules, including Standard Substitution Rules.
3.1. 2020 Inter-league games will use ‘Blue Book’ including substitution. Ie No Continuous batting during these games. (unless further determined by each league President)
Note - District 3 determines rules used for T.O.C. (2020: continuous batter)
Note - Little League International determines rules for All-Stars (2020: standard substitution)
2019 Majors – Summary of Changes:
1 - NSLL Board Approved – Jan14, 2019 PR-7.2: 2019 Majors will use ‘Continuous batting’ for the full NSLL season.
2 - NSLL Board Approved – Feb5, 2019 PR-10: Added Interleague Play section.
2020 Majors – Summary of Changes:
1 - NSLL Board Approved - Feb4 PR-6.1: Lower Bluebook pitch count levels by 10 per age. Lift date Fri April 10
2 - NSLL Board Approved - Feb4 PR-7.2: 2020 Continuous batting confirmed
5 NSLL Board Review PR-10: 2020 Inter League setup